Leading causes of residential fires in Fresno and how to prevent them
There are numerous dangers you must consider as a homeowner. Fire is chief among them, as it can occur anywhere and anytime. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated an incredible $8.9 billion in property damage throughout the United States because of residential fires in 2021. Also during this year, there were in excess of 350,000 reported occurrences. Fortunately, there are actions you can take to avoid them. Investigate the causes and how to prevent house fires in Fresno.
What starts residential fires in Fresno?
Fires can sprout up in any spot and without warning, whether sparked by a smoldering cigarette in a trash can or a neglected stovetop. Here are the top causes of residential fires.
- Cooking: Incidents in the kitchen are the most frequent kinds of residential fires in Fresno and everywhere else. Neglected stovetops are the main origin, so always watch that hot skillet when making a meal. It’s also essential to note that throwing water on a grease fire will only worsen the situation.
- Heating: Space heaters are well established as a cause of residential fires. Running them for lengthy periods may cause inner components to wear out and ignite. Situating heaters near combustible materials like bedding and drapery or using frayed cords can also lead to disaster. Other types of heating, such as HVAC systems and fireplaces, may cause fires and ought to be inspected regularly.
- Electrical: Old wiring, malfunctioning outlets, and overloaded extension cords are some ways electrical problems lead to fires. Don’t ever use an appliance with a tattered cord, and make sure ignitable substances like paper aren’t placed on a lampshade, get it inspected right away.
- Candles: Whenever there's a flame, there's the potential for fire. Residential fires caused by candles are still all too common and typically result from careless behavior. Putting them within an area reachable by pets or near combustible materials will often result in disaster.
- Smoking: Despite the overall decline in smoking nationwide, it’s still an undeniable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated that 7,800 residential fires were caused by smoking in 2021. Nodding off with a cigarette still burning or prematurely discarding smoldering ashes can give rise to destructive results.
The most effective way to prevent house fires in Fresno is to be attentive at all times. Always keep an eye on things when cooking, don’t ever leave a candle burning unattended, and properly dispose of cigarettes. If you need to use a space heater, do so in short intervals and invest in one that offers an automatic shut-off switch in case it overturns.
Protect your family with a monitored fire alarm in Fresno
You ought to have smoke detectors on each floor and more near sleeping quarters. But you can take your home’s safety to a new level with a monitored fire alarm. These innovative safety components will not only discern smoke but can also trigger due to rising heat. In addition, considering they incorporate into your modern smart home, they’ll warn you and your monitoring representatives whenever a disaster occurs. This is a notable perk, especially when you’re not there to hear the alarm and phone the fire department.
Safeguard your home against known threats with a Vivint smart home in Fresno
Elevate the protection of your residence today with a Vivint smart home. You may custom design our systems with monitored fire alarms, CO detectors, and flood sensors. You’ll be thankful for the instant notifications to your cell phone and the peace of mind that you get with professional monitoring. Place a call to (559) 354-6624 to speak with a skilled Vivint professional.